So many of us spend a lot of money on skin care products. However, what we eat and how well our body absorbs the nutrients and how well our digestion system works is a key piece for clear, vibrant skin.
If our digestive system has to struggle to eliminate toxins, this is when we end up with issues like acne, rosacea, blotchy skin, redness and more. Your digestive health is critical to your skin health. Did you realize 70-80% of your immune system is in your gut? The key to a healthy gut is making sure we have enough healthy bacteria in our gut. Certain foods, chemicals, toxins and medications can have a seriously negative effect on our good gut bacteria.
Some of the worst things for your healthy gut bacteria include: sugar, gluten, bad carbs, environmental toxins, antibiotics and even stress.
I think it’s safe to say, we all want a healthy digestive system. Let’s start with the basics. You need to have at the very least one bowel movement a day, two is better. You absolutely have to have a clean healthy diet for the best digestive health. If you are eating fast food, processed foods, fried foods, drinking sodas, consuming sugar to name a few, you are not supporting your digestive system. I’m going to assume you’ve cleaned up your diet and get to the point of assisting and healing your digestive system.
1. Are you chewing your food well? This is simple, but super important. Digestion begins in the mouth and it’s our only opportunity to have active control over how well we start the process. Make sure you really break the food down. When I first began paying attention to my eating, I noticed I would take a bite of food before I had even finished with the current bite I was working on. The old technique of putting your fork down between bites works. Chewing also sends a signal to other organs in your body to secrete digestive juices and chewing well gives your body enough time to prepare.
2. Stop drinking liquid with your meal. This dilutes stomach acid and you don’t want to dilute stomach acid.
3. When you eat, do you stay present to the process? Are you watching TV, working at your desk or distracted while you eat? Staying conscious when eating makes a major difference in how well you digest your food. Eating on the run is also extremely stressful for you digestive system. Enjoy the process. You are feeding the most important vessel you have.
4. Exercise is critical for healthy digestion. The other day I was feeling bloated and didn’t feel like exercising. I did it anyway and just a few minutes into my cardio routine, I felt the bloating going away. It was gone by the time I finished exercising.
5. Drink water with lemon. Especially in the morning. It’s a great way to help aid in digestion and it’s also alkalizing for the body.
6. Drink plenty of water during the day. I find if I start my day off with 8oz of water, I stay on track. Plus, you are somewhat dehydrated after sleeping for hopefully 8 hours and you need to re-hydrate. This is so important and most of us don’t consume enough water on a regular basis. I use an APP called waterlogged that helps me track my water intake.
7. Self massage. This can be extremely helpful. Here’s a short video to show you the method. She’s a little perky in the video, but her technique is good and she’s informative.